Neal Adams and Jerry Lewis

Craig Boldman asked in the other Jerry thread:

>>In your CBG article on Camp Wack-a-Boy, the panel from issue #102, pictured on the bottom of page 98, looks like a Neal Adams panel to me. Was it? And which issues of Jerry Lewis did Adams do?<<

Good eye. Adams took over Jerry’s art (and covers) with #101. Oddly, credits had become a staple of the series for the past few years until that point, when Arnold Drake was writing and Bob Oksner was drawing, but when Adams took over, the credits stopped.

My eye is not so keen that I can say specifically who did what–it’s possible Adams did some inking or someone else inked Adams for some issues, as it gets harder to see his work in some issues. But I think #107 was his last issue.

BTW, around issue #71, another great artist, Mort Drucker began doing some covers and interiors. In some cases, his art is easy to spot, and in others, I have a harder time. Oksner was such a great draftsman, with many of the same strengths as Drucker, to my eye, that it’s hard for me to be sure on some issues (since there aren’t credits provided). The art was always a strength of the series.

— Craig Shutt

Related Posts:

• No Related Posts
in Craig Shutt - Ask Mr. Silver Age.

10 Responses to Neal Adams and Jerry Lewis

1. lordshazam says:

THE ADVENTURES OF JERRY LEWIS was, to my mind, one of the BEST humor comics ever published by DC Comics. It was consistently funny and, as you mentioned, had some of the best artists. I was always amazed that Neal Adams did some issues. Adams was not the kind of artist you would expect to be doing a humor comic. PLUS, Jerry had several superhero crossovers including Flash, Superman, and Batman & Robin!

I am saddened by the almost complete shunning of these humor books by DC and much of the fan world at large. Not only the Jerry Lewis comic but others like THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE (particularly the ‘monsters and Super-Hip’ issues), THE FOX AND THE CROW, SUGAR & SPIKE were gems that we will never see the like of again in our lifetimes. Unfortunately, due to licensing and trademark issues, I doubt if these comics will ever get the Archive treatment which is a very sad waste of wonderful comics.

Sam Gafford

2. Tony Isabella says:

I don’t think it would be all that difficult for DC to get Jerry Lewis (or, for that matter, the Bob Hope estate) to sign off on reprint volumes of those comics. Especially if they were somehow tied into the charitable organizations which Lewis and the Hope family support.

Tony Isabella

3. Mr. Silver Age says:

>> I don’t think it would be all that difficult for DC to get Jerry Lewis (or, for that matter, the Bob Hope estate) to sign off on reprint volumes of those comics.< <

That’s a good point–we always say, “Oh, that’ll never happen because of licensing,” but maybe the licensing wouldn’t be all that tough, if it was tied into their charities in some way.

Even so, my guess would be that the effort to create the licensing agreement and pay anything at all to someone might be too high compared to the profits that could be made from the books. Not only do the buyers need to be looking to read comics, but they need to be willing to look at comics by two guys best known for work 40-50 years ago.

I would love to see them, though.

Unlike the others mentioned, a Sugar & Spike collection wouldn’t require any licensing. There’s been a steady drumbeat of interest in that potential collection, including letters from fans I’ve received. So if DC has its ear to the ground for fan requests, that one should be pretty high on the list.

— Craig Shutt

4. lordshazam says:

Then probably the biggest obstacle to publishing an Archive of Jerry Lewis or Bob Hope comics would be if it would actually sell. I know several people who share my love of these books but, not being superhero titles, DC might not want to risk publishing a book with an EVEN MORE limited audience.

Heck, I’d love just to see a collection of Bob Oksner’s work. There’s another long neglected talent!

Sam Gafford
    Comic Nut

5. Chuck Fiala says:

I think Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis reprint volumes could do okay in regular book stores in both the Hollywood and comics/humor sections. I’m sure plenty of boomers remember these comics. They were very popular with kids that I knew in the 60’s.

6. Rob Allen says:

Somebody in another forum made an interesting suggestion a year or two ago – DC once took old Dobie Gillis material and revised it into “Windy & Willy”. They could do something similar with their old Jerry Lewis stories – just re-letter the name to “Adam Sandler”. The stories would work just as well.

Bob Hope would be more difficult; who today looks like ol’ Ski-nose?

7. Maggie Thompson says:

Bob Hope would be more difficult; who today looks like ol’ Ski-nose?

Well, if we could forego the updating and focus instead on the nostalgia and movie buffs, I don’t think the license to produce Bob Hope comics is probably very costly these days.

8. John Jackson Miller says:

>>DC once took old Dobie Gillis material and revised it into “Windy & Willy”.

Heh. Hanna-Barbera supposedly took the character model sheets it had done for a Dobie Gillis series that never happened and turned it into Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Dobie became Fred, Zelda became Velma, Maynard became Shaggy, and Thalia became Daphne. Oh, yeah — they added some dog, I think.

According to something I read eons ago in CBG, anyway…

–John Jackson Miller

9. hoymurphy says:

I’ve been borrowing a pal’s Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope back issues and having a ball with them. Even reading them sometimes. Anyway, I prefer the older Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis issues before Dean was dumped, but that might be complicated licensing for both, but who knows? I think DC and Marvel are concentrating on company-owned characters that can be made into movies and TV shows, but maybe a smaller company could get the reprint rights to Bob and Jerry comics.

–your pal, Hoy

10. Mr. Silver Age says:

>>By the way, if John and Maggie are reading this, here’s my official whine for another volume of Baby Boomer Comics.< <

Hey Hoy! Glad to see you around this place now that you’re home again. John and Maggie read everything, I’m sure, as they don’t really have much else to do.

Actually, they’re aware of fan interest, but that doesn’t mean I want you to stop pestering them whenever you have the chance, just to remind them. It may seem like a whine to you, but it’s sweet, sweet music to my ears! Thanks for pushing for it, I think it helped last time!

BTW, nice avatar for Ant-Man’s #1 fan!

— Craig Shutt