Saturday, Feb. 18, and Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012
• Heritage Auctions has announced that, due to an injury, artist and writer Frank Miller is unable to travel, and won’t be at the Feb. 21 lot viewing for the New York Signature Auction. Miller had consigned pieces of Batman: The Dark Knight original art from his own collection to the sale.
• Comic-Con International has announced an early offering of hotel rooms for this year’s San Diego convention July 11-15. The rooms are in Mission Valley, five to six miles from the San Diego Convention Center.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Captain Axis’ first line in comics was, “You have journeyed far to die, monster – at the hands of Captain Axis!!” He said it on the cover of Incredible Hulk #155 (Sep 72).
Whose first lines in comics were, “Get off this Earth, Hal Jordan! There’s room for only one Green Lantern – me!”? (Answer Monday)
Born February 18
Gahan Wilson (1930), cartoonist
Johnny Hart (1931), cartoonist
Terry Echterling (1950), comics inker
Aaron McClellan (1959), comics inker
Jay Allen Sanford (1960), comics writer and editor
Mark Bodé (1963), comics writer and artist
Born February 19
Henry Boltinoff (1914), comics writer and artist
Don Glut (1944), comics writer
William Messner-Loebs (1949), comics writer and artist
Bob Palin (1953), comics writer
Gerry Shamray (1957), comics writer and artist
Jim Lawson (1960), comics artist
Mark Winfrey (1965), comics artist
Born 2 weeks from Saturday (March 3)
Max Allan Collins (1948), comics writer
Dan Mishkin (1953), comics writer
Born 2 weeks from Sunday (March 4)
Randy Stradley (1956), comics writer and editor
Bill Fitts (1963), comics writer and artist
Glenn Hauman (1969), comics writer, editor, publisher, and colorist
This Weekend’s Flashbacks
125 yrs Feb 19, 1887 Cartoonist, screenwriter, director and producer of Terrytoons Paul Terry is born.
55 yrs Feb 19, 1957 The comic strip On Stage begins, written and drawn by Leonard Starr.
5 yrs Feb 18, 2007 Artist Bob Oksner dies at age 90.
Every Wed. and Sat. California: City Of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Feb 17-19 Florida: Orlando. MegaCon.
Feb 18 Indiana: Elkhart. Wonder Woman Day & Comicon.
Feb 19 Illinois: Springfield. ComicCon.
Feb 19 Michigan: Livonia. X-trava Con.
Feb 25 Indiana: Fort Wayne. Comic Book Convention.
Feb 25 Michigan: Roseville. Great Lakes Comic Expo.
Feb 25-26 North Carolina: Charlotte. Toy, Hobby, Sportscard & NASCAR Show.
Feb 26 Indiana: Indianapolis. Comic Book Show.
Question of the Week
What comics movie are you most anticipating?
• Once Upon a Time reveals “What Happened to Frederick” at 8 p.m. E.T. Sunday on ABC.
• Fox’s Sunday animation block begins at 7:30 p.m. E.T. with The Cleveland Show and “Brown Magic.” At 8 p.m. The Simpsons marks its 500th episode with “At Long Last Leave.” Alison Krauss performs the series’ theme song. At 8:30, Napoleon Dynamite has “Bed Races,” while at 9 p.m., Family Guy has a special appearance by Ricky Gervais in “Be Careful What You Fish For.” American Dad! ends the evening at 9:30 with “Old Stan in the Mountain.”
• Looking ahead to early Monday morning on Turner Classic Movies, it’s swords and sandals day, beginning with Quo Vadis (1951) at 6 a.m. E.T., followed by Cleopatra (1934) at 9 a.m., Spartacus (1960) at 10:45 a.m., Ben-Hur (1959) at 2:15 p.m., and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966) at 6:15 p.m.