Thursday, April 7, 2011
• According to CNN’s The Marquee blog, Sean Hayes has been added to the cast of The Three Stooges as Larry. He joins Will Sasso as Curly. Hank Azaria is rumored to be in the lead for the role of Moe in Farrelly brothers’ film which is scheduled to begin shooting later this month and is scheduled for release next year. (Brent Frankenhoff)
• The Marquee blog also had the news that M. Night Shyamalan’s next film is planned to be science-fiction thriller set 1,000 years in the future where a father and son, played by Will and Jaden Smith, respectively, must survive on a deserted planet Earth. Jada Pinkett Smith is an executive producer on the project. (Brent Frankenhoff)
• And, it’s just one month until Free Comic Book Day! What are your plans for May 7? (Brent Frankenhoff)
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Howard the Duck’s first lines in comics were, “Aw, clam up, bud! You don’t even know the meaning of the word! Finding yourself in a world of talking hairless apes — now that’s absurdity!” He uttered them in Fear #19 (Dec 73).
Today’s Panel Quiz
Whose first line in comics was “I am through having machines tell me what I can and cannot do!”?
Jacques Boivin (1952), comics artist
Larry Nadolsky (1957), comics artist
Michael A. Martin (1964), comics writer
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Teri Wood (1965), comics artist and writer
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
April 9 Ohio: Elyria. Show.
April 9 South Carolina: Greenville. Greenville Comic Book and Sports Car d Show.
April 9 Virginia: Richmond. Virginia Comicon.
April 9-10 North Carolina: Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem Toy and Comic Book Show.
April 9-10 Ontario: Toronto. Toronto ComicCon Fan Appreciation Event.
April 9-10 United Kingdom: London. Kapow! Comic Con.
April 10 North Carolina: Raleigh. Comic Book Convention.
April 10 Ohio: Northwood. Comics show.
April 10 Virginia: Dunn Loring. Capicons Comic Book and Pop Culture Con.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question of the Week
What comics-related movie are you most looking forward to this year?
• The Big Bang Theory is new at 8 p.m. E.T. on CBS. Season 4, Episode 20 is “The Herb Garden Germination.” Physicist Brian Greene makes a cameo appearance.
• The Uninvited (1944, 99 mins.) is on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) at 8 p.m. E.T. (OK, it has no comics connection, but I have to tell you it’s one of the best ghost story movies ever, and it is not available on DVD. (Maggie Thompson)
This is the 38th installment of Today’s Comics Guide.
Share your thoughts and news with us in our “Leave a Reply” area below.