Wednesday, August 8, 2012
• Joss Whedon has signed an exclusive contract with Marvel Studios to write and direct Avengers 2 and to develop the proposed live-action TV series. His contract runs through 2015.
• The Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art (MoCCA) has become part of The Society of Illustrators, transferring its assets to that group, which will be housed in a gallery in The Society’s building. An exhibition of works from MoCCA’s Permanent Collection with a special section devoted to the art of Harvey Kurtzman, is scheduled for March 5 to May 4, 2013. Additional programs are planned in conjunction with the exhibit. The Society will also continue MoCCA Fest.
• IDW has acquired the rights to Joe Palooka, transforming Ham Fisher’s prizefighter into a disgraced MMA fighter traveling the world to regain his title.
• Rebellion/2000 A.D. has announced that its comics will be available for digital download the same day as the physical copies hit stores. The publisher even has its own app via the Apple Newsstand.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
The Big Man’s first line in comics was, “Good! Spider-Man was seen heading this way! He should appear within seconds! Start Operation Hi-Lift right now!” He said them in Amazing Spider-Man #10 (Mar 64).
Whose first line in comics was “Watchmen! On the roof! Well, this will take care of them!”?
Janice Cohen (1952), comics colorist
Sheldon Inkol (1965), comics writer
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Ken L. Jones (1951), comics writer
Will Shetterly (1955), comics colorist
Anna-Maria B. Cool (1956), comics artist
D.G. Chichester (1964), comics writer and editor
25 yrs Aug 8, 1987 Bob Wayne joins the DC Comics staff in the newly created position of Retail Promotions Manager.
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Aug 9-12 Illinois: Rosemont. Chicago Comic Con.
Aug 11-12 North Carolina: Charlotte. Toy, Hobby, Sportscard & NASCAR Show.
Aug 11 California: Fresno. Collect-A-Con.
Aug 12 Connecticut: Manchester. Comic, Coin & Sports Card Show.
Aug 12 Michigan: Livonia. X-trava Con.
Aug 12 Pennsylvania: Dingmans Ferry. Comics, Cards, Records, TV & Movie Expo.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• You’ve probably heard reviewers talk about the concept of “rashomon,” and, more than likely, read at least one story employing the point of view of multiple characters, but if you want to see the original Japanese movie (Rashomon (1950)), tune in to Turner Classic Movies tomorrow (Thursday) morning at 7:45 a.m. E.T. It’s followed at 9:15 by Seven Samurai (1954), the “inspiration” for The Magnificent Seven. It’s all part of TCM’s Japanese film festival with the films of Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi, and Hiroshi Inagaki.