Sunday, March 13, 2011
Welcome to Today’s Comics Guide! This is the 13th installment in Comics Buyer’s Guide’s ongoing home for daily comics notes, news, and views. Please join us, and feel free to comment in the “Reply” box at the bottom of the page to provide your own notes, news, and views!
• Daylight Savings Time begins today. Did you (a) change your clocks and (b) replace the batteries in your smoke alarms? (Maggie Thompson)
• It’s just two days until nominations for the CBG Fan Awards close on March 15. Let us know your favorite projects and creators of 2010.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Fone Bone’s first line in comics was “Still no sign of the townspeople.” in Bone #1 (Jul 91; this is the colored panel from the 10th anniversary special.)
Whose first line in comics was “Well, Commissioner, anything exciting happening these days?”
Al Jaffee (1921), comics writer and artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Steve Calrow, manager, Bruce Hamilton Collections
Carl Barks (1901), comics writer and artist
Fred Foy (1921), radio announcer
Hy Eisman (1927), comic strip artist and writer
Mike Friedrich (1949), comics writer
Mike Chen (1955), comics artist
John Floyd (1962), comics artist
60 years ago: Following a stretch in college, teen Beetle Bailey enlists in the Army in Mort Walker’s comic strip (1951).
Question of the Week
What most impressed you about the first comic book you remember reading?
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
March 13 Illinois: Champaign-Urbana. Twin Cities ComicCon
March 13 Virginia: Tysons Corner. Comic Book & Non-Sportscard Show
March 18-20 Illinois: Chicago. Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) Have you begun to pack yet?
March 18-20 Canada, Ontario: Toronto. Wizard World Comic Con. Have you begun to pack yet?
Mar 19-20 Ohio: Columbus. SPACE. (Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo).
Mar 19 Pennsylvania: Schnecksville. Lehigh Valley Comic Con.
March 20 Michigan: Livonia. X-trava Con.
March 20 North Carolina: Charlotte. ComiCon.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Simpsons has a new episode on Fox at 8 p.m. E.T.; Season 22, Episode 16 is “A Midsummer’s Nice Dream,” and Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong voice themselves.
• Fox’s Sunday night animation block continues at 8:30 p.m. E.T. with new episodes of Bob’s Burgers (“Bed & Breakfast,” Season 1, Episode 7) and The Cleveland Show at 9:30 p.m. E.T. (“The Way the Cookie Crumbles,” Season 2, Episode 16). Family Guy at 9 p.m. E.T. is a repeat. (“Welcome Back Carter,” Season 9, Episode 3)
• What comics-related media are you following or anticipating? TV shows, movies, videogames? Share your favorites in the “Reply to this Post” area below.