Friday, March 23, 2012
• IDW has obtained a license from Rebellion/2000 A.D. to produce new material featuring Judge Dredd. Tying in with Sept. 21 release date for the big-screen movie starring Karl Urban, IDW plans to have both new comics and reprints of the original stories. Those reprints feature work by such creators as John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra.
• Over on his website, Mark Waid has promised to reveal more of his plans about digital comics and more on April 2.
• Funeral services were held earlier this week for Josie DeCarlo, the widow of Archie artist and writer Dan DeCarlo, and model/inspiration for Josie of Josie and the Pussycats. Mrs. DeCarlo was a fixture at many comics conventions along with her husband.
• Link of the Day: Over at The Beat, Heidi MacDonald sat down with Comic-Con International VP of Marketing and Public Relations David Glanzer to discuss WonderCon’s future plans as well as Comic-Con itself.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
The Aerialist’s first words were “Now you see me, Green Lantern … now you don’t! It’s my turn to strike back!” He said them on the cover of Green Lantern #35 (Mar 65).
Whose first words in comics were: “Paris is my city, Web-head! You’ve come a long way – only to die!”?
Jim Friel (1946), comics retailer
Chuck Bordell (1968), comics artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Mark Askwith (1956), TV show producer and writer
Every Wed. and Sat. California: City Of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Mar 24 Kentucky: Lexington. Comic & Toy Convention.
Mar 24 Minnesota: Woodbury. Sound+Vision MN Collectibles Show/Sale.
Mar 24-25 Kansas: Overland Park-Kansas City. Planet Comicon.
Mar 24-25 Maryland: Annapolis. Comic-Con.
Mar 25 Delaware: Newark. Sports Card, Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Mar 25 Michigan: Livonia. X-trava Con.
Mar 30-Apr 1 Washington: Seattle. Emerald City Comicon.
Question of the Week
What era of comics (Golden Age, Silver Age, etc.) is your favorite?
• Early Saturday morning, at 9 a.m. E.T., Turner Classic Movies has The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze (1963).