Friday, May 4, 2012
• The Avengers opens nationwide today. By the time you read this, some folks will have already seen the film at midnight screenings. When do you plan to go?
• Tomorrow is Free Comic Book Day! What are your plans?
• Just in for review: The first titles in DC’s New 52 Wave 2: Earth 2, World’s Finest, Dial H, and G.I. Combat, plus collections of Justice League, Batman, and Animal Man.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
The first words said in comics by Barry Allen were, “What a character Flash was – battling crime and injustice everywhere! And what a unique weapon he had against the arsenal of crime! Speed! Supersonic speed! Undreamed-of speed!” He said them in Showcase #4 (Oct 56).
Whose first lines in comics were the overly punctuated, “Jack!! Connie!! Where are you!!? Jack!!”?
John Broome (1913), comics and science fiction writer
Nestor Redondo (1928), comics artist
John Ridgway (1940), comics writer and artist
Doug Cushman (1953), comics artist
Damon Willis (1963), comics artist
Tom Richmond (1966), animator
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Alan Kupperberg, comics writer
Don Martin (1939), comics writer and artist
Arthur Suydam (1953), comics artist
James W. Fry (1960), comics writer
James L. Sanders III (1963), comics artist
105 yrs May 4, 1907 Illustrator, pulp artist, and cartoonist Lyman Anderson is born. His work appears in New Fun #1-2, and he draws Inspector Wade for King Features.
75 yrs May 4, 1937 Caliber and Tome Comics artist Wayne R. Reid is born.
Every Wed. and Sat. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
May 4-6 Missouri: Columbia. DoDeca-Con.
May 5 Everywhere. Free Comic Book Day.
May 6 California: Los Angeles. Comic Book & Science Fiction Conv.
May 6 Illinois: Chicago. Toys, Comics & Statues Convention.
Question of the Week
What would you like to see in Today’s Comics Guide?
• NBC has “Happily Ever Aftermath,” a new episode of Grimm at 9 p.m. E.T.
• At 3:45 a.m. E.T. Saturday morning, Turner Classic Movies has Escape from New York (1981) starring Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken.