Thursday, November 24, 2011
• Happy Thanksgiving! We imagine most of our readers here in the U.S.are celebrating the holiday in some way as are we. The CBG offices may be closed until Monday, but CBGXtra keeps chugging along 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Keep checking each day throughout the holiday weekend for updates, specials, and more! (Brent Frankenhoff)
• Peter David reports that he is scheduled to be one of the balloon handlers of the Spider-Man balloon in this morning’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. (Brent Frankenhoff)
• Author Anne McCaffrey died Nov. 22. She was best known for her Dragonriders of Pern series, which formed the basis for Dragonflight, a three-issue comics series from Eclipse in 1991. (Brent Frankenhoff)
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Danger Girl Abbey Chase’s first lines in comics were, “What’s with the rough stuff, Donavin? I thought we were friends.” She said them in the Danger Girl Preview (Dec 97).
Today’s Panel Quiz
Whose first line in comics was “Cool it, man! The kids bet me I wouldn’t have nerve enough to sneak past the guards …”
Forrest J. Ackerman (1916), fandom activist and editor
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Michael Hobson (1936), comics publisher
Jonathan Peterson (1960), comics artist
Erik Larsen (1962), comics writer and artist
Mike Mulvihill (1962), comics and games designer
John Mundt (1965), comics writer and artist
95 yrs Nov 24, 1916 Pioneering science-fiction fan and Famous Monsters of Filmland editor in chief Forrest J Ackerman is born. He invents the term “sci-fi,” and its use in his magazine leads to its widespread adoption.
25 yrs Nov 24, 1986 Former National Cartoonists Society president Al Smith dies at age 84. He is a syndicate owner, art editor and cartoonist who draws Mutt and Jeff for 48 years.
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Nov 26-27 North Carolina: Charlotte. Toy, Hobby, Sportscard & NASCAR Show.
Nov 27 Missouri: St. Louis. Comic Book Show.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question of the Week
What comics are you thankful for this year?
The best answer received to this week’s question (in our opinion) will receive a CBGcoffee mug with Maggie Thompson’s mug on it that we just found in the archives while researching our 40th anniversary. So, c’mon, tell us your thoughts, make us smile, and you could hold a piece of CBG history in your hand! Send us your answer in the “Leave a Reply” area below.
• While the turkey’s cooking this morning, you can enjoy the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. As noted above, Peter David is scheduled to help wrangle the Spider-Man balloon. Who else from comics might you see?
• Speaking of turkey day, Turner Classic Movies has a Pete Smith short, “Let’s Talk Turkey” at 7:42 p.m. E.T. tonight. If you’ve never seen a Pete Smith short, you’re in for a treat.
• Unfortunately there are no episodes of Big Bang Theory or Community tonight, but there is a new episode of Adventure Time on Cartoon Network at 8:30 p.m. E.T.