Thursday, October 11, 2012
• Marvel has announced that Amazing Spider-Man #700 will be the final issue of the series. As part of Marvel Now!, the title will be replaced in January with Superior Spider-Man by writer Dan Slott and artists Ryan Stegman, Humberto Ramos, and Giuseppe Camuncoli.
• Andy Diggle will take over as writer of Action Comics with #18, replacing Grant Morrison on the DC series.
• In other DC creative team changes, David Finch’s departure from Batman: The Dark Knight for a new Justice League of America title opened the door for Ethan Van Sciver to come on Dark Knight as artist with #16, working with continuing writer Gregg Hurwitz.
• For the trifecta of announcements, DC also announced yesterday that Paul Cornell is leaving Demon Knights and will be replaced by Robert Vendetti. Bernard Chang will continue as the series artist. The changes take effect with #16.
• Why all the announcements? Could it be because the New York Comic Con is on?
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross’ first lines in comics were, “Why the delay, Banner? What are you waiting for?” He bellowed them in Incredible Hulk #1 (May 62).
Whose first line in comics was “Just a matter of skill, that’s all!”?
Bruce Hamilton, comics publisher
Kathryn Mayer, comics artist
Lee Nordling, comics artist
The Upside Downs (1903), comic strip by Gustave Verdeek
Joe Simon (1913), comics writer, artist, and editor
Sergio Toppi (1932), comics artist
Jim Woodring (1952), comics writer and artist
Patrick J. Williams (1958), comics artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Wonder Woman (1941), first appearance
Peter Ledger (1945), comics artist
Michelle Wrightson (1941), comics colorist
June Brigman (1960), comics artist
65 yrs Oct 11, 1947 Cartoonist Ippei Okamoto dies at the age of 61. He had introduced U.S. strips to Japan.
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Oct 11-14 New York: New York. Comic Con.
Oct 13 Wisconsin: Green Bay. Green Bay Comic Book Convention.
Oct 13-14 California: San Francisco. Alternative Press Expo (APE).
Oct 14 Connecticut: Manchester. Comic, Coin & Sports Card Show.
Oct 14 Illinois: Rockford. Comic Book Convention.
Oct 14 Illinois: Chicago. Toys, Comics & Statues Convention.
Oct 14 Ohio: Cleveland. Comic, Card & Nostalgia Show.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to email@example.com.
• Even though the vice-presidential debate take over some of primetime tonight, we still have the dueling airings of The Big Bang Theory on CBS and Last Resort on ABC, both at 8 p.m. E.T.
• The CW isn’t carrying the debate, so it can air the premiere of Beauty & the Beast at 9 p.m. E.T.
• Also at 8 p.m. E.T., Turner Classic Movies has Flight of the Phoenix (1965), a terrific Jimmy Stewart film.
• At 3:15 a.m. tomorrow morning, TCM airs Kiss Me Deadly (1955), the big-screen adaptation of one of Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer mysteries.