Friday, October 26, 2012
• Grant Morrison has been awarded a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire medal. The honor does not, however, grant him the use of “Sir” ahead of his name. That’s reserved for recipients of the two highest orders of the British Empire, the Knight Grand Cross or Knight Commander.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
The first line in comics spoken by Sam of Mort Walker and Jerry Dumas’ Sam’s Strip was, “Just a minute! I’m not ready yet!” He said it in the first installment of the strip Oct,. 16, 1961.
Whose first line in comics was, “I’m sorry, Steve.”?
Larry Lieber (1931), comics writer and artist
Glynis Oliver (1949), comics colorist
Steve Collins (1954), cartoonist
Pierangelo Boog (1957), comics artist
Paris Cullins (1960), comics artist
John Morelli (1962), comics letterer
Doonesbury (1970), comic strip
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Now
Stan Drake (1921), comics writer and artist
Phil Normand (1945), comics artist
Ken Landgraf (1950), comics artist
Lou Ferrigno (1951), actor and bodybuilder
Bill Mantlo (1951), comics writer
Mort Todd (1961), comics writer and artist
Jack Herman (1961), comics writer
Wizard of Id (1964), comic strip
Patrick Hayes (1967), comics reviewer
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Oct 26-28 Michigan: Dearborn. Detroit Fanfare.
Oct 26-28 Tennessee: Knoxville. Fanboy Expo.
Oct 26-28 Texas: Austin. Comic Con.
Oct 27-28 New Mexico: Rio Rancho. New Mexico Tri-Con.
Oct 27 Maryland: Annapolis. Annapolis Comic-Con.
Oct 27 North Carolina: Hickory. Toy, Hobby & Sportscard Show.
Oct 27 Ohio: Springfield. Champion City Comic Con.
Oct 28 Connecticut: East Windsor. East of the River Comics & Collectible Show.
Oct 28 Indiana: Indianapolis. Comic Book Show.
Oct 28 Kansas: Overland Park-Kansas City. Kansas City Super Halloween Comic Con Spectacular.
Nov 2-4 Alberta: Winnipeg. Central Canada Comic Con.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to email@example.com.
• Spend a day in the jungle with Turner Classic Movies today, beginning at 10:15 a.m. E.T. and Jungle Cavalcade (1941), a compilation of Frank Buck’s adventure films. There’s a trio of Jungle Jim adventures later and the mini-festival in the fauna wraps up at 6:45 p.m. with Jungle Gents (1954), featuring The Bowery Boys on an African diamond hunt.
• NBC has a Halloween special a few days early with the pilot for Mockingbird Lane, the reimagining of The Munsters, at 8 p.m. E.T. It’s followed by a new episode of Grimm at 9.
• Fox has a new episode of Fringe at 9 p.m. E.T.
• At 3:15 a.m. tomorrow morning, Turner Classic Movies has an airing of Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story (2007).