Saturday and Sunday, April 28 and 29, 2012
• It’s one week until Free Comic Book Day. What are your plans?
• According to reports, Scarlett Johansson will not appear as The Black Widow in Iron Man 3, but is an easy shoo-in for Avengers 2 and is pushing for a separate movie featuring the character.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Tony Isabella figured out that Mirror Master’s first line in comics was, “No use, Flash – you’ll never … find … the real me … in time!” and he said it on the cover of The Flash #105 (Feb 59).
Whose first line in comics was “So long, Pop! I’m off to check my tiger trap!”? (Answer Monday)
Born April 28
Dick Ayers (1924), comics writer and artist
Will Murray (1953), comics writer
Greg Hyland (1969), comics writer and artist
Born April 29
Michael Davis (1958), comics artist, Milestone Media co-founder
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Saturday (May 12)
Tony Strobl (1915), comics artist
Catherine Yronwode (1947), comics writer and editor
Tom Armstrong (1950), comic strip writer and artist
Neil D. Vokes (1954), comics artist
Scott Deschaine (1957), comics writer
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Sunday (May 13)
Marv Wolfman (1946), comics writer and editor
Andrew Pepoy (1969), comics artist
This Weekend’s Flashbacks
135 yrs Apr 29, 1877 Sports and funny-animal cartoonist Tad Dorgan is born. The influential artist creates Judge Rummy and Indoor Sports.
65 yrs Apr 28, 1947 Al Vermeer’s daily strip Priscilla’s Pop begins after nine months as a Sundays-only feature.
Every Wed. and Sat. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Apr 27-29 Illinois: Lombard. Windy City Pulp and Paperback Convention.
Apr 28 New Jersey: Manahawkin. Atomicon XXVI Comics Expo.
Apr 28 Wisconsin: Oak Creek. Milwaukee Comic Book Convention.
Apr 29 Delaware: Newark. Sports Card, Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Apr 29 Florida: Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach Comic & Toy Show.
Apr 29 Indiana: Indianapolis. Comic Book Show.
Apr 29 North Carolina: Raleigh. Comic Book Show.
Apr 29 Pennsylvania: Essington-Philadelphia. Comic Con.
May 4-6 Missouri: Columbia. DoDeca-Con.
May 5 Everywhere. Free Comic Book Day.
May 6 California: Los Angeles. Comic Book & Science Fiction Conv.
May 6 Illinois: Chicago. Toys, Comics & Statues Convention.
Question of the Week
What would you like to see in Today’s Comics Guide?
• Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block begins at 10 a.m. E.T. Saturday morning with Green Lantern: The Animated Series and the introduction of the Star Sapphires in the new episode “In Love and War.” It’s followed at 10:30 with Young Justice and “Happy New Year!”
• There appears to be a glitch on the Turner Classic Movies site, but it looks as though an episode or two of The Perils of Pauline movie serial is airing around noon E.T. Saturday.
• At 3:30 Saturday afternoon, TCM has one of the funniest John Wayne Westerns with McClintock! (1963). (Here’s a bonus trivia question: According to G.W. McLintock, how high above sea level is the Mesa Verde? We’ll share the answer Monday.)
• ABC has “The Stranger,” a new episode of Once Upon a Time, at 8 p.m. E.T. Sunday night.
• Fox’s Sunday night animation block returns with new episodes, starting at 7:30 p.m. E.T. with “B.M.O.C.,” a new episode of The Cleveland Show. At 8, it’s The Simpsons and “A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again.” Bob’s Burgers continues its second season at 8:30 with “Dr. Yap.” And Seth McFarlane finishes out the night with “Mr. and Mrs. Stewie,” a new episode of Family Guy at 9, followed by a second new episode of The Cleveland Show, “Jesus Walks” at 9:30. Fergie of The Black-Eyed Peas provides a guest voice.