Saturday, May 19, and Sunday, May 20, 2012
• A second comics artist from the Phillipines, Ernie Chan (known early in his career as Ernie Chua), has died. He was 71. In addition to his work on Marvel’s Conan titles, he also produced work on such DC titles as Batman and Justice League of America.
• IDW has announced that a new series featuring James O’Barr’s Crow will begin in July, written by John Shirley with art by Kevin Colden. A new Crow movie is also in development.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
The first words said in comics by Herbie Popnecker were, “What’s the matter with you anyway, Pinkie? That keeper’s a hard-working guy … what’s with all this growling? Why do you hate him so much?” He said them in Forbidden Worlds #73 (Dec 58).
Whose first line in comics was “Not quite, Colonel! Tina — meet Col. Caspar of Intelligence! Dance with him! He’s much better than I am!”? (Answer Monday)
Neil A. Robertson (1954), comics artist
Frank Albanese (1955), comics creator
Reggie Byers (1963), comics artist
Robert Bostick (1968), mini-comics writer and artist
Everett “Busy” Arnold (1899), comics publisher
Gardner F. Fox (1911), comics and pulp writer
Gail Beckett (1942), comics letterer
Al Bigley (1965), comics artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Saturday (June 2)
Barry Grossman (1948), comics colorist
Michael E. Uslan (1951), comics writer and movie producer
Dwight Jon Zimmerman (1953), comics writer
Scott Rosema (1958), comics writer and artist
Joe Gentile (1963), comics artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Sunday (June 3)
Tom Gill (1913), comics artist
Bob le Rose (1921), comics colorist
Gavin Wilson (1965), photo cover artist
Ken Mennell Jr. (1972), comics newsletter contributor
70 yrs May 20, 1942 Colorist and letterer Gail Beckett is born. She’s on the production team for such companies as Malibu, Dark Horse, and Marvel.
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
May 18-20 Michigan: Novi. Motor City Comic Con.
May 19-20 California: San Jose. Big Wow! ComicFest.
May 19-20 Minneapolis: St. Paul. MCBA Springcon Comic Book Celebration.
May 19-20 New York: New York. Big Apple Comic Con.
May 19 Indiana: South Bend. ComicCon.
May 19 Tennessee: Morristown. Collectors Showcase Comic & Toy Convention.
May 20 Illinois: Springfield. ComicCon.
May 20 Virginia: Tysons Corner. Comic Book Show.
May 26 Delaware: Newark. Sports Card, Comic Book & Collectible Show.
May 26-27 Puerto Rico: San Juan. Comic Con.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question of the Week
What’s your favorite comic book today?
• Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block begins at 10 a.m. E.T. Saturday morning with Green Lantern: The Animated Series and “Invasion.” The hour continues with Young Justice at 10:30 and “Salvage.”
• Turner Classic Movies wraps up its presentation of The Perils of Pauline serial at noon E.T. with the final three chapters.
• Fox’s animation block begins at 7:30 p.m. E.T. Sunday evening with The Cleveland Show and “All You Can Eat,” which sounds like it should be a Simpsons episode. That series has “Lisa Goes Gaga” at 8, followed by Bob’s Burgers and “Beefsquatch” at 8:30. At 9, it’s a special hour-long Family Guy with “Viewer Mail #2; Internal Affairs.”