Saturday, October 13, and Sunday, October 14, 2012
• The Joe Kubert School will have an open house Oct. 20 from 1-4 p.m. The art and design school, which is marking its 36th year, is accepting applications for the 2013-2014 school year. The school is located at 37 Myrtle Ave., Dover, N.J.
• Dark Horse’s “Comics Greatest World” is on its way back with Joe Casey writing Catalyst.
• Matt Wagner will write The Shadow: Year One for Dynamite.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
The Weather Wizard’s first lines in comics were, “It’s about time the folks of this town met The Weather Wizard! Ha ha … On a hot day like this a little rain feels good! And when I feel like a little rain – I make it rain!” He said them in The Flash #110 (Jan 60).
Whose first lines in comics were, “Slay the monster! In the name of XX, the Mighty!”? (Answer Monday)
Margaret Clark, comics editor
Ed Magalong, comics letterer
Ben Raab, comics writer
Harry Hershfield (1885), cartoonist
Herblock (1909), editorial cartoonist
Robert M. Ingersoll (1952), comics writer and commentator
Alan J. Porter (1959), comics writer
George Pratt (1960), comics artist
Petri Miltonen (1967), French cartoonist
Christopher Jones, comics artist
Sol Hiss (1872), early comic-strip writer, The Nebbs, The Gumps
Bob Oksner (1916), comics artist
Dann Jippes (1945), comics artist
Charlie Williams (1952), comics artist
Michael R. Hawkins (1965), comics writer and artist
Brandon Peterson (1969), comics artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Saturday (Oct. 27)
Jan Duursema, comics artist
Leo Baxendale (1930), cartoonist
Bernie Wrightson (1948), comics writer and artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Sunday (Oct. 28)
Krazy Kat (1913), comic strip
Leonard Starr (1925), cartoonist
Rolf E. Stark (1939), comics artist
Gary Hallgren (1945), comics writer
Jim Valentino (1952), comics writer, artist, and editor
Stephen Donnelly (1959), comics publisher
Jim Gillespie (1959), comics artist
Ian Shires (1967), comics writer and artist
Karl C. Story (1967), comics inker
This Weekend’s Flashbacks
140 yrs Oct 14, 1872 Writer Sol Hess is born. He scripts both The Gumps and The Nebbs.
80 yrs Oct 14, 1932 F. Burr Opper’s newspaper strips Happy Hooligan and And Her Name Was Maud end.
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Oct 11-14 New York: New York. Comic Con.
Oct 13 Wisconsin: Green Bay. Green Bay Comic Book Convention.
Oct 13-14 California: San Francisco. Alternative Press Expo (APE).
Oct 14 Connecticut: Manchester. Comic, Coin & Sports Card Show.
Oct 14 Illinois: Rockford. Comic Book Convention.
Oct 14 Illinois: Chicago. Toys, Comics & Statues Convention.
Oct 14 Ohio: Cleveland. Comic, Card & Nostalgia Show.
Oct 20 Massachusetts: Northampton. Paint and Pixel Festival.
Oct 20 Wisconsin: Oak Creek. Milwaukee Comic Book Convention.
Oct 20-21 Florida: Tampa. Tampa Bay Comic Con.
Oct 20-21 Alberta: Edmonton. Edmonton Comic & Entertainment Expo.
Oct 21 Delaware: Newark. Sports Card, Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Oct 21 Illinois: Peoria. Comic Book Convention.
Oct 21 Michigan: Livonia. X-trava Con.
Oct 21 New York: Syracuse. Collectorsfest-Sports Memorabilia & Toy Show.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to email@example.com.
• Saturday morning is big for animation fans with Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block that begins with Green Lantern: The Animated Series at 10 a.m. E.T. and Young Justice at 10:30 a.m. Meanwhile, over on Nickelodeon, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have a new episode at 11 a.m. E.T., followed by a new episode of Kung Fu Panda at 11:30.
• At noon E.T. Saturday, Turner Classic Movies has another Jungle Jim movie, 1952’s Jungle Jim in the Forbidden Land.
• At 8 p.m. E.T. Saturday night, TCM airs The Third Man (1949) with Orson Welles.
• TCM has The Mouse That Roared (1959) at 4:30 p.m. E.T. Sunday. That evening, at 8 p.m. E.T., the nostalgic movie channel has The Dirty Dozen (1967).
• ABC has a new episode of Once Upon a Time at 8 p.m. E.T. Sunday night.