Saturday, October 6, and Sunday, October 7, 2012
• The Syracuse, N.Y., Post-Standard has announced that it will change to a three-times-a-week format Feb. 1 and laid off 115 employees, including editorial cartoonist Frank Cammuso. The Daily Cartoonist contacted Cammuso, who has been preparing for the change for some time. His graphic novel series, Knights of the Lunch Table, is one of the picks in our A Parent’s Guide to the Best Kids’ Comics.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Nemesis Kid’s first line in comics was, “I’m Nemesis Kid, from Myar, the alchemists’ planet! I use my alchemical skill to give myself the power to defeat any opponent.” He said it in Adventure Comics #346 (Jul 66).
This Weekend’s Panel Quiz
Whose first line in comics was “Can I give you a hand up, son?” (Answer Monday.)
Joanne Spaldo, comics editor
Adam Kubert, comics artist and educator
Mo Gollub (1910), comics artist
Alfred Harvey (1913), comics publisher
Robert Powell (1916), comics artist and writer
John Nyberg (1955), comics inker
Kathleen A. Webb (1956), comics writer and artist
Michael Carlin (1958), comics editor and writer
Jim Nelson (1962), comics artist
Darwin McPherson (1966), comics historian
Moose Bauman, colorist
David Mack, comics writer and artist
Art Thibert, comics artist
Lars Jensson (1926), Finnish comics writer and artist (The Moomins)
Mauricio de Sousa (1935), Brazilian cartoonist
Howard Chaykin (1950), comics writer and artist
Enki Bilal (1951), French cartoonist
Marvin Perry Mann (1953), comics inker
Rod Underhill (1953), comics artist
Phil Yeh (1954), comics writer and artist
Richard Thompson (1957), cartoonist
Fernando Ruiz (1969), comics artist and writer
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Saturday (Oct. 20)
Sid Jacobson, comics editor
Chris Wozniak, comics artist
Lyman Young (1893), cartoonist
Crockett Johnson (1906), cartoonist
Nick Cardy (1920), comics artist
Frank Herbert (1920), writer
Jim Engel (1956), cartoonist
Ron Garney (1962), comics artist
Len Kaminski (1962), comics writer and editor
Paul Fricke (1963), comics artist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Sunday (Oct 21)
Pat Bastienne, comics editor
Johanna Draper Carlson, comics editor and reviewer
Tom Morgan, comics artist
Hairbreadth Harry (1906), comic strip
John Dennis (1950)¸ comics artist
Geof Darrow (1955), comics artist and writer
Paul Levitz (1956), comics writer and publisher
Jeff Albrecht (1957), comics inker
Bob Keenan (1957), comics publisher
Michael Dooney (1959), comics artist
Stuart Kerr (1960), comics writer
Rags Morales (1969), comics artist
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Oct 6 Minnesota: St. Paul. MCBA Fallcon Comic Book Party.
Oct 7 Iowa: Bettendorf. Comics show.
Oct 11-14 New York: New York. Comic Con.
Oct 13 Wisconsin: Green Bay. Green Bay Comic Book Convention.
Oct 13-14 California: San Francisco. Alternative Press Expo (APE).
Oct 14 Connecticut: Manchester. Comic, Coin & Sports Card Show.
Oct 14 Illinois: Rockford. Comic Book Convention.
Oct 14 Illinois: Chicago. Toys, Comics & Statues Convention.
Oct 14 Ohio: Cleveland. Comic, Card & Nostalgia Show.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Saturday morning is big for animation fans with Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block that begins with Green Lantern: The Animated Series at 10 a.m. E.T. and Young Justice at 10:30 a.m. Meanwhile, over on Nickelodeon, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have a new episode at 11 a.m. E.T.
• At noon E.T. Saturday, Turner Classic Movies has another Jungle Jim movie, 1951’s Jungle Manhunt.
• Sunday night is also big for animation with Fox’s animation block, beginning at 8 p.m E.T.with The Simpsons, followed at 8:30 by Bob’s Burgers, 9 by Family Guy, and 9:30 by American Dad!
• ABC has a new episode of Once Upon a Time at 8 p.m. E.T. Sunday night.
• And, pretty much unrelated to comics, but an almost-guaranteed fun time, the Stevens Point Barbershoppers, a singing group that CBG Editor Brent Frankenhoff belongs to, presents its 59th annual Harvest of Harmony show this Saturday in Stevens Point, Wis., with shows at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at the Sentry Theater. This year’s theme is “The Evolution of Barbershop.” Tickets are available at the door.