Saturday, Sept. 29, and Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012
• Colleen Doran has announced that a new collection of A Distant Soil, with remastered and restored art and lettering, is coming from Image. The book is scheduled for release in June 2013 and Doran added that a new batch of issues, taking the series to #50 and its conclusion, begins in the Spring. The book collection is the first compendium of issues since 1997.
• It’s a big weekend for animation fans as you’ll see when you scroll down to Comics-Related Media.
Yesterday’s Panel Quiz Answer
Killgrave, The Purple Man’s first line in comics was, “This seems to be a likely place!” He said it in Daredevil #4 (Oct 64).
Whose first words in comics were, “Ah is allus available to mah friends – fo’ a price, natcherly!”? (Answer Monday.)
Russ Heath (1926), comics artist and writer
Greg Irons (1949), comics artist
Timothy B. Vigil (1958), comics writer and artist
Mark Pennington (1959), comics artist
Sylvie Rancourt (1959), comics writer and artist
Patrick Owsley, aka Christopher Priest (1963), comics editor and writer
Vince Stone (1964), comics writer and artist
Daryl Edelman, comics writer
Kay Wright (1919), Disney animator and comics artist
Howard Zimmerman (1946), comics editor
Ken Feduniewicz (1951), comics colorist
Deni Loubert (1951), comics editor and publisher
Dan Danko (1966), comics writer and editor
Chris Eliopoulos (1967), comics writer, artist, and letterer
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Saturday (Oct. 13)
Margaret Clark, comics editor
Ed Magalong, comics letterer
Ben Raab, comics artist
Harry Hershfield (1885), cartoonist
Herblock (1909), editorial cartoonist
Robert M. Ingersoll (1952), comics writer and commentator
Alan J. Porter (1959), comics writer
George Pratt (1960), comics artist
Petri Miltonen (1967), cartoonist
Birthdays 2 Weeks from Sunday (Oct. 14)
Christopher Jones, comics writer
Sol Hiss (1872), comic-strip writer, (The Nebbs, The Gumps)
Bob Oksner (1916), comics artist
Dann Jippes (1945), comics artist
Charlie Williams (1952), comics artist
Michael R. Hawkins (1965), comics writer and artist
Brandon Peterson (1969), comics artist
Every Wednesday and Saturday. California: City of Industry. Comic Book & Collectible Show.
Sep 28-30 Minnesota: Bloomington. Crypticon The Nightmare Before Halloween.
Sep 29-30 Ohio: Columbus. Mid-Ohio-Con.
Oct 6 Minnesota: St. Paul. MCBA Fallcon Comic Book Party.
Oct 7 Iowa: Bettendorf. Comics show.
Do you have a show coming up? Let us know! You can e-mail the information to email@example.com or mail it to Show Calendars, Comics Buyer’s Guide, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI 54945. If you have a creator appearance scheduled, let us know by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• As we told you in Friday’s edition of Today’s Comics Guide, Saturday morning is big for animation fans as Cartoon Network begins a new season of its DC Nation block with Green Lantern: The Animated Series at 10 a.m. E.T. and Young Justice at 10:30 a.m. Meanwhile, over on Nickelodeon, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles return to animation with a new series beginning at11 a.m. E.T.
• At noonE.T. Saturday, Turner Classic Movies has another Jungle Jim movie, 1950’s Pygmy Island.
• For more adventure, check out The Land That Time Forgot (1975) at 4:45 p.m. E.T. Saturday on TCM.
• Sunday night is also big for animation with the return of Fox’s animation block, beginning at 8 p.m E.T.with The Simpsons, followed at 8:30 by Bob’s Burgers, 9 by Family Guy, and 9:30 by American Dad!
• ABC resumes Once Upon a Time at8 p.m. E.T. Sunday night as well. It’s preceded by a recap of the first season at7 p.m. E.T.